There was time when people used to pay lots of money just to get in touch with their relatives and friends on call. Then, the talks were limited and to the point because they have to pay charges for a call. There was a tough competition among all network providers. But few years ago in 2016 Reliance Jio entered the market with a bang. Mukesh Ambani has brought a revolutionary change in the history of calling. Jio gave free data to users and made calling. Everyone loves free things so people who were using networks other than Reliance Jio switched to Jio.
Effects of Jio on other networks:
Value of the Shares of other network provider companies like Airtel, Idea, Vodafone fell down. Jio has completely turned the industry on its head. it has been one of the changing forces that has put a halt to rising data costs and increased mobile penetration in second tier towns and rural areas. Jio is one one the best things to have happened in 2016.
Jio surprises its users:
On Wednesday, 9th October 2019 Reliance Jio announced that it will start charging its users 6 paisa per minute for voice calls made to users of another telecom network. But Jio to Jio call will still be free. This statement surprised the Jio users who have been enjoying free services so far. Jio is doing this to recover the 6 paise/minute IUC (Interconnect Usage Charge) that the company pays other telcos to use their network during calls. Users will have to pay IUC until TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India) brings the fee down to zero. It is expected to happen on January 2020.
Here are some changes that Jio brought:
- Under the new regulations, a Jio user will be charged 6 paise per minute if call is made to operator other than jio like Vodafone or Airtel till the time you keep ringing. The 6 paise per minute charge will be made through IUC top-up vouchers.
- Jio is offering four new IUC plans that also come with additional data benefits
- The Rs 10 plan offers 124 IUC minutes to non-Jio numbers and 1GB additional data.
- The Rs 20 plan offers 249 IUC minutes and 2GB data.
- The Rs 50 plan offers 656 IUC minutes and 5GB data
- The Rs 100 plan offers 1,362 IUC minutes and 10GB data.
- Jio says the IUC rate will be charged till the time TRAI moves to zero termination charge, which is expected to happen by December 31, 2019.
Some of Jio users started boycott Jio but there are still some users who are still using jio. This totally depends on Jio Family that they boycott Jio or stand with Jio. Although it’s just a matter of few months.